Thursday, August 28, 2008

25 Aug 2008, My Grandma Keke Passed Away

My Grandma Keke is my father's mother. She passed away this past Monday morning. I am thankful to her because through her I was born upon this earth. I am thankful to her for my father. I am thankful to my Heavenly Father that my grandmother's time came and she was able to leave this earth in peace. I sit and wonder who of our family was there to meet her when she crossed over into the spirit world. I wonder if my brother Saimasina was there, or maybe even my grandfather who died about 22 years before her. I know Grandma Keke had a daughter who died young, Aunty Suzy, maybe she was there too and Uncle Etuale.

I was never close to my grandmother. I was mostly raised with my mother's family. I never really got to know who my Grandma Keke really was as a person. I did know things about her. She was a staunch Catholic. I know that when she was able, she loved to go to the maketi in Fagatogo and play bingo. She really loved that! :) I dare say she was a professional bingo player :) She always kept her home and yard spotless and the landscape around the house was always filled with all kinds of beautiful plants. She was a superstitious woman. I remember one evening when it was dark and I started to sweep out the living room; she immediately stopped me, took the salu away, and told me that I was sweeping away all the riches in my life and that I would be poor. Hmmmmmmmm... No comment there :) I knew things about her, but never ever had a heart to heart talk with her about the things she thought about and why. I am sad about that.

Although my Grandma Keke and I were not close, I am thankful that my family and I had a chance to visit with grandma this past July 2008. I am thankful we had the chance to say our goodbyes, especially for my father. I know it meant a lot for him. I saw it in his face and the way he interacted with her. It was a good warm visit and the best moments we had were serenading her with beautiful Samoan music. I know she enjoyed that.

This coming week is her funeral. I am sad that I will not be able to go. It is just too expensive to fly back again and I cannot afford to miss any more work. I am though extremely grateful to my Heavenly Father that my last moments with her were while she was alive and I am thankful to know that she is now at peace.

No comments: